Spicy sweet potato, coconut and ginger soup
I cannot even begin to describe how good this soup tastes. All I can say is that if you have a blender and a stove, you should make it. Preferably soon. And eat it all! It is quite spicy, so if you have a lower tolerance, just reduce the chili (I’ve added both fresh and powder).
- Knob of butter
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 medium-sized onion, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1-2 red or green chilis, sliced
- 2 small pieces galangal
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 3 inches ginger, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1.5 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 500ml vegetable stock (1 cube + 500ml hot water)
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 1 handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
In simple terms: fry it, boil it, blend it!
In more detailed terms: Melt the butter and fry the onion, garlic, ginger, chili, sweet potato, turmeric, paprika and chili for 5 minutes. Then add the lime juice, fish sauce, stock, coconut milk, salt and pepper and let boil on high heat for around 15 minutes, or until the sweet potato is quite soft. Pour everything into the blender and whizz until smooth. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve!